Sunday, July 28, 2013

Final Post of 402!

Blog  5
Content knowledge
“Connected: An Autobiography about Love, Death and Technology.”
After Viewing the film, what particularly stuck you as powerful or important?

The film Connected brought a lot of questions about our future as a human race and the monumental changes going on right now.  I remember being young, about 6, my mother brought home a new device.  This device had a monitor like a TV but also typed and printed documents.  She used this ‘box’ to type tests for her students and mail co-workers.  I was baffled! What was this machine that could do so much and be so small? How has this rarity now become a must in our modern world? This computer my mother used is simply one of the first evolutions of the personal PC, an indispensible tool I personally use every day, for work, enjoyment and writing music.   The internet now connects us to the world as stated in the film, but it hit me that time and space have now shrunk.  Yesterday I emailed my friend from Israel and texted a friend in Boston as well as talking on the phone with my family in El Salvador. Our world is shirking and that brings us closer to problems and solutions, responsibility.  We can’t hide anymore, as Tiffany Shlain mentions “The world’s central nervous system” our minds are open now, how should we use this new power? Too sell more jewelry or end sex slavery throughout America and the world, should we make more commercials or feed every child in the world?
The battle between right brain and left brain very much interested me about the importance of societal community and the power of the sexes.  While women use more right brains and men can be associated with left brain activity, does this mean art (right brain) is girl. I view the two hemispheres as complementary and we live with both sides of our brains working together. 

Cheers One and All!

Gabriel Guevara

I responded to:
Anne Garvey

Kathryn Leonard


1 comment:

  1. Hi Gabriel,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I especially like the point the you made.
    " The internet now connects us to the world as stated in the film, but it hit me that time and space have now shrunk." Time and space have shrunk!
    Our world just decreased in size and now we are able to reach out to other countries and share in their struggles. This awareness might create change. I know that I was personally moved by the violence in Egypt and the students that were using Twitter to make their voices heard across the world. Social media enables everyone to have a voice not just one-sided news broadcasting stations with their own political agenda.

    ReplyDelete