Sunday, July 21, 2013

Blog Content Knowledge Session 5

1.      “Disciplines are not collections of certified facts; rather, they are lenses through which we look at the world and interpret it…they orient our attention to specific questions about the world…and provides us with standards for what counts as viable answers to such questions.” (Boix Mansilla, Gardner and Miller, OnDisciplinary Lenses and Interdisciplinary Work)

What is one specific way that your content research thus far has caused you to re-think about an idea, or question, or caused you to challenge assumptions that you had previously not considered—or—even pushed you further in your thinking? Discuss.

This week raised questions about the view of dance our state holds, not to offer dance in our public schools, while charter schools and more art oriented school have dance programs. Some children learn kinesthetically, and I feel we are leaving them out.  
My research has opened my view to the many struggling music programs around the state.  At first I thought our bay area was hit hard by budget cuts and teacher layoff but many school districts around the state are in worse situations.
Most importantly this week I renewed my love for Ballet.  During my undergraduate education, ballet was readily available to be viewed and enjoyed.  This week I focused on watching great works of art by classical artists and even as far back as early baroque ballet.  Although videos are not as magical as a real production it was wonderful to return to an art form I truly cherish.


2.      How do you think the Common Core standards might fit in this narrative of school reform?
The common Core will address some needs that need to be focused on, but I worry about the way that tests will be individually corrected. NCLB focused on bubble answer, which a machine could correct. How will the new Common Core standards be corrected with answers inquisitive and elaborate? I personally fear reading robots, but I feel a system like our P.A.C.T. uses.
As school progression continues and we test new ideas of how to teach our children effectively, I think Common core will be a good start.  The one question I must raise, is how will computer- less schools take the test? Many schools in Mount Diablo district do not have computers, nor do the children know how to type.


3.      My view of unions is a split one, while I believe in teaching unions to protect teachers from injustice, I have heard my mother (a teacher) complain about the teaching union my entire life.  Unions were created in America during the late 1700’s to protect workers from corrupt bosses.  Power must be balanced, but that is a hard scale to get perfect.  I do disagree with some of the teachers union practicing on firing incompetent teachers, but I also believe teachers must be protected.

“Let’s start with the hardest question: should teachers’ unions exist? Do the protections they offer their members depress student achievment? Are they an “adult interest group,” as their critics charge, whose priorities conflict with the needs of their students? Would schools improve if there were no unions to represent the teachers?”  (Ravitch, 173).




I responded to:
Jennifer Steele

Monica Mitra

2 comments:

  1. Gabe,

    I completely agree with your ideas about incorporating dance in the classroom. As a young student, I learned best kinesthetically. I had to be very hands on with my learning, or things just never really clicked. I can't imagine a classroom where dance, art, etc., are not a part of the curriculum. NCLB has really taken away a lot from our classrooms, which is ironic, seeing as NCLB was geared towards improving education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabbbbeee!!
    I loved your thoughts on the various perspectives of dance and its role (or lack thereof) in public schools and education. I too wonder how the new common core testings will help really create a shift in bringing our educational systems focused back on our students needs rather than some test scores. It is interesting to ponder how on earth all of our testing systems could possibly shift towards solely computer based- if we can barely afford to provide our title 1 schools with resources and materials then how are we going to provide them with all of these computers? Also, computers are quite temperamental and who can guarantee the computers will be 100% reliable?

    I look forward to seeing what else your research efforts produce!!

    ReplyDelete